As Julia Child said; “Cooking well doesn’t mean cooking fancy,” and, this Vegan Tempeh Chili Soup is definitely ‘cooking well’! There’s just a few basic ingredients, but, it’s so deep in flavor! And bonus = it’s a quick, easy, healthy, scrumptious one-pot-meal for your busy life!
If you’ve never eaten tempeh (pronounced tem-pay), you’re definitely going to want to try it in this recipe! Here’s the scoop: it’s made by a natural culturing fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form. That process preserves it and creates beneficial enzymes, b-vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids, and various strains of probiotics. We know how beneficial probiotics are for us (they’re found in miso, kimchi, kombucha, sauerkraut, etc,) so, besides it tastes amazing, it’s really good for you! Tempeh is an excellent meat/protein replacement for your Meatless Mondays, or any day! It’s easy to find, next to the tofu. I buy organic tempeh and it’s much less expensive (and healthier!) than organic ground beef!
The tempeh takes on the flavor of the smoked paprika, it’s seriously love at first bite! Let me know how much you agree!
- 8 oz package Tempeh, cut into bite sized pieces (prefer Trader Joe's Organic 3 Grain)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbl tomato paste (prefer DeLallo in a tube)
- 15 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, (prefer Muir Glen Organic)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (prefer Pacific Organic Low-Sodium)
- 1¼ cup whole grain elbow macaroni (prefer Barilla)
- 3 cups kale or chard, chopped
- Salt to taste (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbl water until softened and water is mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Add the tempeh and smoked paprika, combine.
- Stir in the pinto beans.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and let melt into the mixture.
- Pour in the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer and add the macaroni. Reduce heat and simmer about 6 minutes until the macaroni is al denté.
- Add the kale, stir to combine. Heat through until wilted.
Don’t miss upcoming recipes, sign up to receive updates!