A hot day calls for a cool, quick and easy sammie, so, here’s THE best fake-out tuna salad! The secret in this Vegan Chickpea Salad Pita sandwich is mashed chickpeas in place of tuna…it’s amazing how similar they are! I love that there are many wonderful swaps for non-vegan foods if you’re inclined to follow that way of eating. I’ll be sharing a post on that soon, stay tuned!
Meanwhile, enjoy a quick cool salad in a pita on a hot day, or any day for that matter!
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained. You can save the liquid from the can (Google 'aquafaba') for countless sweet and savory uses.
- ½ tsp stone ground mustard, or dijon
- Zest from ½ a lemon
- 3 tbl tahini
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
- ½ celery stalk, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finelychopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 pita rounds, cut in half across
- Optional toppings: tomato, lettuce, avocado slices, onion
- Mash chickpeas or quickly pulse in a food processor until broken up.
- Whisk mustard, tahini, maple syrup, lemon zest, and salt and pepper if using.
- Add dressing to chickpeas along with the pickle, celery and red onion. Stir to combine.
- Stuff the pita halves with the chick pea salad and optional vegetables.
Here’s more veggie sandwich inspiration!
If you make this recipe, be sure to take a pic, post it, and tag me on Instagram! @cherryblossomkitchen AND #cherryblossomkitchen