Well, here it is, the beginning of a new year and like many of you, I’ve embarked on a healthier eating program. I’ve been following the Whole30 plan, am 19 days in, and wanted a fresh, new approach to chicken. These proscuitto wrapped rosemary chicken thighs are a bit of a departure from your normal, everyday chicken recipe! It’s easy to put together. but, it’s elegant and amazingly savory and delicious! AND…it’s Paleo, low carb/gluten free and Whole30 compliant! Win!!
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 package or bundle fresh rosemary
- 8 pieces good quality boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 thin slices prosciutto di Parma
- 2 lemons, cut into thin wedges
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a large roasting pan with foil.
- Pour ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil into a shallow dish and add the garlic.
- Strip the leaves off a sprig of rosemary and finely chop, about 1 tablespoon.
- Add the chopped rosemary to the bowl with the garlic and oil.
- Break the remaining rosemary up into 8 small sprigs about the size of the chicken pieces.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, to taste, and add them to the garlic mixture and turn to coat.
- Wrap the chicken pieces in prosciutto, securing the ham with a sprig of rosemary as you wrap.
- The sprigs should stick out a bit at the edges of the ham.
- Drizzle the chicken with more oil and bake for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180F.
- Serve lemon wedges alongside for squeezing over the top. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
Be sure to add the sprinkle of lemon juice and drizzle of balsamic vinegar as an amazing finish! It tastes fabulous without, but, gives the chicken and proscuitto an additional dimension of flavor. Give it a try and let me know what you think!! Enjoy!!
What is your favorite way to prepare chicken thighs? Please share in the comments!!