It’s 102 and sunny in south Texas, the perfect day for a light orzo pasta salad recipe! Fresh ingredients include cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil and mint and great texture from garbanzo beans and orzo.
The tangy bite comes from fresh fragrant lemon juice and red wine vinegar, with just enough agave to balance the tartness, and, luscious fruity extra virgin olive oil to bring it all together. It’s just as tasty the next day!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups orzo
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- About ¾ cup Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the chicken broth to boiling in a large covered saucepan over high heat. Stir in the orzo, cover partially and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo and transfer to a large wide bowl and toss until it cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, agave, salt and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, slowly add the oil. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Yield 1¾ cups.
- Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Don’t miss out on this keeper, give it a try!!