Yes, it’s absolutely possible to make No Oil, Crispy Baked French Fries! There are a couple of tricks to making it happen, but it’s super simple and no special equipment is needed. You’ll be on your way to healthy, fat-free, delicious, crispy fries in no time! Whether you’re following a low-fat diet…or maybe you’re vegan, vegetarian or just health conscience and know that anything-fried-in-oil is SO not healthy (the fat you eat is the fat your wear!), then this technique is for you, and you’ll never make fries any other way again!
Here’s the secret to these crispy fat-free fries: just par-boil the potato wedges, drain and place back in the pot, add your seasonings and shake to distribute, then bake in a hot oven. That’s all there is to it! Shaking them around in the pot, roughens up the edges which will help to crisp them up better than a regular smooth potato surface. And, cutting them into wedges instead of a typical fry shape affords more surface area to get crispy!
Be sure to use smoked paprika along with the other spices. Unbelievably so, so good!
The leftovers (I had made a boat-load!) reheated beautifully the next day!
Dip your crispy fries in some Sriracha laced ketchup. Try it!
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large sheet pan with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- After scrubbing potatoes clean, slice into thick wedges.
- Add to a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain, and place wedges back into pot.
- Add all the seasonings, cover pan and shake to distribute evenly.
- Spread the wedges out on the prepared sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, flip wedges and bake a additional 20 minutes until cooked through and crispy.