I’m excited to do a Julia Child recipe for Taste Test Tuesday! I recently found a ‘First Edition’ of her cookbook ‘From Julia Child’s Kitchen’ and just had to try her Eggplant Pizzas from it! She definitely was ahead of her time creating a low carb recipe like this. It’s succulent and so delicious!
To prepare the eggplant, start by trimming the ends off and cut into 1/2″ slices. Be sure they’re similar in size so they’ll cook evenly.
Sprinkle slices with salt on both sides and let sit on paper towels for 30 minutes to draw out liquid.
After 30 minutes, wipe the salt and moisture off the slices with a paper towel.
Add slices to a sheet pan prepared with olive oil or cooking spray. Brush olive oil on each slice and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Roast for about 20 minutes or until softened.
Turn oven to broil. Top each slice with sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings. Broil for 5-6 minutes or until golden and melted.
Sprinkle a chiffonade of basil ribbons, and serve!
I was so pleased to find the hardcover in excellent condition, it’s a true treasure!
There are many fabulous photos and drawings by Julia’s husband, Paul Child.
The pages have yellowed, but, it’s beautiful! I’m reading it like a fascinating novel. Julia Child certainly was a culinary genius! Take a minute and read the paragraph on the left page about choosing the right eggplant. Her Italian grocery man said that female eggplants are the best. Female? Interesting!! He told her you can distinguish them from male eggplants as the males have a depression…female eggplants are long and thin, and have smooth bottoms! 😉
If you love Julia too; besides her ‘Mastering The Art Of French Cooking’, a must-have, find her autobiography ‘My Life in France’. It was compiled with her husband’s grand nephew during the last eight months of her life and completed and published following her death. It’s a wonderful glimpse into her personality and amazing life!
Thank you Julia!
- 1 eggplant, about 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 10 large basil leaves, cut into chiffonade strips (optional)
- ⅓ cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- ⅓ cup low-fat mozzarella, grated
- crushed red pepper flakes for sprinkling over finished pizza (optional)
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce (prefer Rao's Marinara sauce)
- Your favorite toppings (I used Yve's brand vegan pepperoni)
- Cut off both ends or the eggplant, then slice into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place slices on a double layer of paper towels, sprinkle both sides with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes to draw out liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees while eggplant slices sit.
- Wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels to remove the salt.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray. Add eggplant slices to pan and brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes or until softened but not mushy.
- Remove eggplant from oven when done and adjust the oven to broil.
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of sauce on top of each slice, sprinkle with cheeses and top with your favorite toppings.
- Broil until the cheese melts and is slightly browned. Watch carefully.
- Top with additional parmesan and basil ribbons if desired.