I’m looking forward to doing a Taste Test Tuesday series of recipes that I’ve been anxious to try from cookbooks, magazines, Pinterest, etc. So, to kick this off, I chose this Minestrone Soup from Bob Warden’s ‘Great Food Fast’ book of pressure cooker recipes. I made it in my Instant Pot, it’s a multi-cooker: a slow cooker, electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté/browning pan, and warming pot all in one. This recipe worked beautifully using it! I honestly could have soup of any kind every day, all months of the year! I tweaked the recipe slightly using kale instead of spinach and elbow instead of shell pasta, because that what I had on hand. You’ll love that one serving is only 160 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints!
It’s so quick and easy to make this healthy, hearty soup! With the electric pressure cooker’s lid off, heat the oil on High Sauté until sizzling, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the kidney beans.
Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
Securely lock the cooker lid, and set on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Perform a Quick Release to completely release the cooker’s pressure.
Stir in the kidney beans and warm through.
Remove the bay leaves before serving if you like, but, I leave them in…whoever gets one in their bowl does the dishes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced into thick half-moons
- 3 cups fresh kale, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1.2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
- With the electric pressure cooker's lid off, heat oil on 'sauté' high until sizzling.
- Place the onion in the cooker and sauté until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery, sauté 1 minute.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for kidney beans. Securely lock the pressure cooker's lid and set for 6 minutes on 'High'.
- Perform a 'quick release' to release the cooker's pressure.
- Stir in kidney beans and warm through.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Need more Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker inspiration? Scroll through more recipes here!
I hope you enjoy!!
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.