For Taste Test Tuesday this week I tried Mellissa Sevigny’s Chili Dog Soup! I made it in my Instant Pot, and it was absolutely yummy! This soup tastes exactly like a chili dog, without the carby bun! I changed it up a bit and used 93% fat free ground turkey and 97% fat free hot dogs to make it lower in Weight Watchers Smart Points but you’d never know it!
Spray the Instant Pot with cooking spray, set to Saute High. Brown the ground turkey. Add the salsa, water, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, ground mustard and hot dogs. Lock lid and set Instant Pot to ‘Soup’ for 20 minutes, then perform a ‘Quick Release’ to release the steam. Check here for steam release instructions.
- 1 pound 93/7 lean ground turkey
- ½ c prepared salsa
- 2½ cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- 3 97% fat free Hebrew National Hot Dogs, sliced
- ¼ cup low sugar ketchup
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 ttsp red wine vinegar
- Spray the Instant Pot with cooking spray, set to Saute High. Brown the ground turkey.
- Add salsa, water, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, ground mustard and hot dogs.
- Press 'Keep Warm/Cancel'. Lock lid and press 'Soup', 20 minutes.
- Peform a 'Quick Release' to release steam.
- Remove cooker lid. Set to Saute High, and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce liquid if desired.
- Add ketchup, dijon mustard and red wine vinegar and stir to combine.
- (To cook on the stove; combine all but last 3 ingredients in a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, or for 3 hours in a crockpot on low. Stir in the ketchup, mustard and red wine vinegar.)
- Top with chopped onion, shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado or your favorite chili dog topping!
For more Instant Pot inspiration, scroll here!
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.