For Taste Test Tuesday this week I’m featuring Indian Lentil Soup, an absolutely delicious recipe I discovered at Katie’s Runs For Cookies Recipes!! She has an amazing weight loss success story, as she’s lost 130+ pounds counting WW points and then calories, and now counting calories as she maintains, and she’s an avid runner. She’s a huge inspiration to me and others to get to their best self!! I run/walk her Runs For Cookies Virtual 5K which is on her birthday, annually! I don’t know Katie, but, I admire her determination and tenacity that helped her reach her weight loss and running goals!
Back to the recipe! I’m one of those soup lovers that enjoys a steaming bowl of soup even in the heat/humidity of our hot Texas summers, and being the soup snob that I am, I have to say this one has everything I love in a soup! The lentils and veggies make it hearty enough to be a filling, satisfying meal…the savory, luscious broth is spiced with cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and cayenne pepper, a beautiful combination! While we’re on the subject of ground coriander, let me just say that someone needs to create an air freshener that smells just like it! Go open your bottle of ground coriander and smell the heavenly, exotic aroma! It’s sweet, flowery, citrusy, earthy, with notes of thyme and even butter! The flavor is out of this world, but totally sparkles when it’s paired with vegetables and fruits, and it’s an important part of making homemade curry powders. Ground coriander and turmeric are common in Indian cooking among other wonderful spices. They give an amazing depth of flavor without a lot of cooking time required!
You probably have most of these items in your pantry! Don’t you just love how you can take a few random ingredients, put them all together and the end result is a beautiful bowl of delicious goodness??
I was originally going to use a sweet potato as shown below, but, I decided to make the recipe as it was written with a white potato. Sweet potato cubes would be good too, no doubt!
I was thrilled to find another amazing soup recipe, I hope you enjoy!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes (prefer San Marzano)
- 1 medium potato (about 6 oz), peeled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Spray a dutch oven or large soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic stirring to combine, and cook for a minute.
- Add the broth, lentils, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, partially cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potato and simmer covered until veggies are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Makes 4 servings, about 1⅔ cup each.