This recipe for Jamie Oliver’s Gorgeous Roast Vegetables is just simply amazing! They’re the best veggies I’ve had in a very long time, so flavorful and perfectly done. The twist in preparing them is to par-boil them before roasting, and using duck fat instead of vegetable or olive oil (and another tip mentioned below!) But, don’t let that dissuade you from trying this recipe! I mean, look at these veggies!!
As the recipe states; I used parsnips, multi-colored carrots (I used a combination I found of purple, yellow and orange carrots, a golden beet (instead of red) and a red potato (Jamie’s recipe calls for Maris Piper potatoes, but, they’re a variety grown in the UK not available in my area of Texas, so a red potato is a good substitute.) After peeling and slicing the vegetables, pour lightly salted boiling water over them to cover, and par-boil for about 10-15 minutes, just until they begin to soften.
Drain the veggies in a colander and let sit for a couple of minutes to steam dry, then give the colander a good shake to rough up the edges a bit which will aid in a crispy exterior. This tip is one I’d never tried, but, it worked!
Spread them out on a large sheet pan and drizzle the duck fat or oil of choice, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. Toss to combine and spread out to a single layer.
If you can find this duck fat, get it! It really amps up the flavor of the roasted veggies! The package says to use full strength for confit (duck or other meat cooked slowly in its own rendered fat) or sauté. And, can be used like butter as a spread. Not sure I’d use it as a spread, but, that’s just like enjoying toasted garlic bread dipped in extra virgin olive oil, right? 🙂 All I know is; roasting vegetables in duck fat makes them gorgeous and delectable!
Roast at 425F for about 40 minutes until golden and crispy, turning halfway through cooking.
This is why Jamie calls them ‘Gorgeous Roast Vegetables’! And, all the brown spots? They are amazing, to-die-for flavor!
I’ve never had a parsnip before, and wasn’t sure what to expect, but, they were delicious!!
I enjoyed my gorgeous roast veggies with some quinoa and avocado for a super healthy, delicious meal!
Let me know how much you enjoy this one!!
Thank you Jamie Oliver!
- 12 ounces beetroot red or golden, peeled and quartered.
- 12 ounces mixed-color carrot, peeled and halved lengthways
- 4 ounces potatoes, peeled and halved
- 6 ounces parsnips, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons duck fat
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Divide the vegetables between 2 large pans, keeping beets separate if using red beets.
- Cover with boiling salted water and parboil for 10-15 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Drain the vegetables in a large colander and leave for a couple of minutes to steam dry.
- Give the colander a good shake to rough up the edges, then add to a large roasting pan.
- Drizzle with duck fat, sprinkle the rosemary leaves, season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables into a single layer, and cook at 425F for about 40 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Turn halfway for even cooking.
- Recipe inspired by Jamie Oliver