After recently finishing a successful Whole30 and taking a couple of weeks off, I’m happy to have started up again today with this scrumptious chicken sausage, zucchini noodle egg skillet breakfast! It’s Low Carb, Gluten Free, Paleo and Whole30 compliant. But, besides it being all that and a bag of plantain chips, it’s just super tasty and filling! It’s become one of my favorite go-to breakfast meals, but, it’s good at any time of the day!
This is a great one-pan skillet dish that can be put together quickly using whatever vegetables or protein you have on hand that you’re in the mood for, or would like to use up. I’ve used ground pork, chicken, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, cauliflower etc. It’s all good!
- 1 Chicken sausage, chopped (I used Aidell's All Natural Chicken and Apple)
- ¼ small onion, chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini, trimmed and spiralized, or chopped
- 3 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 whole eggs
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spiralize or chop zucchini and pat dry with paper towel.
- Drizzle 1 tbl oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add in onion and chicken sausage. Saute until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and mushroom and toss to mix with onion and sausage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and cook 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, move veggie/sausage mixture to side of skillet. Add the other tbl of oil and crack in egg(s). I like to loosely cover the skillet with foil and 'steam' the eggs until my preferred doneness is reached, 2-3 minutes
- Check for seasoning and enjoy immediately.
Here’s all you need to get started!
You don’t have to spiralize the zucchini, but, I love the way it cooks up resembling noodles. The consistency is very much pasta-like! So many vegetables and fruits can be spiralized…sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, onions, cucumbers, radishes, apples, beets…the list is long! If you haven’t jumped on the spiralizing bandwagon and don’t have a spiralizer yet, you can find the one I use and LOVE: the Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer here. It’s fun and simple to use, affordable, and easy to clean! FTW!!
Chop, chop, spiralize and heat up the pan with some luscious, good-for-you Extra Virgin Olive oil or Coconut Oil and your veggies are ready for the hot tub!
Within minutes, you’ve got yourself a healthy any-time-of-day meal that will absolutely satisfy you for hours!