I’ve been longing for a luscious risotto, but, didn’t want the carbs (that go straight to my hips) from rice, so, I used my food processor to turn the butternut squash into rice-like bits. In seconds, you’ll replace the high-carb rice to create this easy and delicious Butternut Squash ‘Riced’ Risotto with Peas and Parmesan!
It’s incredibly easy! All you have to do is wash your butternut squash, cut off the bulb end (discard or save for another recipe), and then peel and roughly chop. Get out your handy food processor, and in a couple of batches depending on the size of yours, pulse for a few seconds until you’ve got rice-size bits (be careful not to overprocess) It’s so quick and simple, and I just love transforming something from it’s original state into something as awesome as this risotto!
I like to warm the broth in a saucepan like you would for a traditional risotto before adding to the pan, but, room temp will work as well.
Adding the broth a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring and letting it reduce before adding more broth transforms your raw butternut squash into perfect, tasty al dente rice-like goodness! When it’s cooked and seasoned to your liking, add the parmesan cheese, let melt and become creamy and luscious, then add the peas or the vegetable of your choice, and carefully stir to combine. The color and texture of this butternut squash riced risotto is glorious and you’d be proud to serve it as a quick weeknight side dish, or for an elegant dinner with your favorite people!
(As a side note, when you get to the rind of the parmesan cheese like I did, don’t throw it away! Wrap it in plastic and keep it in your freezer until you make your favorite soup. Just drop the entire rind to your soup pot and it will add the most delicious flavor with zero effort! Remove before serving and enjoy!)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and roughtly chopped. (bulb end removed and discarded)
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbl white wine (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbl white wine (or broth)
- ¼ c cooked green peas ( or cooked veg of choice)
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional)
- Place the butternut squash cubes (in batches) into a food processor and pulse until the cubes are chopped the size of rice. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, warm the broth.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. When the oil has heated, add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds (be careful not to burn) then add the onion. Cook until the onion softens, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of wine or broth and let reduce. Add the squash rice and salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add ½ cup of broth and let reduce. Once reduced, add another ½ cup of broth and let reduce. Taste the risotto, if the squash rice isn't soft enough, add another ¼ cup of broth. When squash rice is tender add the Parmesan cheese, stir and cook until melted. Add peas and stir to combine.
- Enjoy !
I’m always looking for ways to satisfy a carb craving and this definitely satisfies! What is your favorite carb replacement when you just gotta have some, or are you one of those people I’m wildly jealous of, that can happily indulge without dire hip-enlarging consequences?? 🙂
Subscribe below to receive Cherry Blossom Kitchen updates!