Are you in the mood for a fall-inspired meal? Me too! In honor of World Porridge Day, here’s one that’ll have you pulling out your apple pie spices, pronto! You know the ones that are just sitting in your cabinet; the cloves, ginger and cinnamon that don’t get nearly enough use! We’re turning our ordinary oats into an Apple Pie Spiced Oatmeal that just screams fall! Enjoy this quick and easy meal even on your busiest mornings!
It’ll warm you up, and definitely satisfy any craving for apple pie you may be having! It’s gluten free, vegan and vegetarian compliant! Most importantly, it’s warm, yummy and comforting!
Can’t you just taste all those distinct, healthy flavors? ↓
This low-cholesterol bowl of yum couldn’t be much healthier! The oats provide protein and fiber, the banana and apple are a good source of potassium and vitamin C. The blueberries add some healthful antioxidants to your diet, and the hemp hearts add protein, vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc, and are easily digested. Hemp hearts (seeds) are one of the rare complete proteins in the plant kingdom, along with quinoa.
So, go ahead and enjoy this warm, delicious, guilt-free oatmeal instead of cold cereal for a nice change!
- ½ c gluten-free oats
- 1 cup water (or almond milk or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash ground ginger
- dash ground cloves
- dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tbl pure maple syrup
- ½ apple, diced
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ c blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3-4 whole pecans, broken into small pieces
- 1 tbl hemp hearts
- Combine oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in spices and drizzle maple syrup on oatmeal. Stir to combine.
- Arrange banana slices, apple, blueberries and pecans over top and sprinkle with hemp hearts.